Travel resolutions for 2009
New year equals new travel resolutions. Or rather, in my case, re-visiting some old ones. I am however, going to change some travel habits this year. With that said, here are my travel resolutions for 2009:
- Go back to Istanbul. I visited the city back in ’99 and have been wanting to go back since then. Now, with my wife Lauri, it’ll be an even better trip and we’ll see the things I missed last time, such as the Topkapi Palace.
- Spend more money where it counts. I’ve had a tendency to be a miser on things like tour guides, boat rides, and such. Because of this, I’ve missed out on a lot of context from many of the destionations. After all, how much does a travel guide book really tell you?
- Spend less where it doesn’t. Does it really matter whether lunch is a restaurant meal on the patio or a sandwich on a park bench? I’ll most certainly do more shopping at supermarkets during 2009 to save on money.
- Take my time. No more rushing or worrying about seeing this or that sight. It’ll be there next time around, and, well, if there’s no next time, at least I’ll have really seen the sights I do get around to.
- Snap more pictures. Not that I’m bad at this, but I can certainly explore the location much better here and post more photos in the travel photos section on the site.
- Take my wife somewhere warm and pretty this summer. Last summer, we did a last minute trip to Perpignan in Southern France, which was wonderful This year, I’ll plan it better for the two of us.
- See a real castle. Since Lauri moved to London, she’s been wanting to see a real castle. That we’ll do this summer sometime.
Those are my travel resolutios for 2009. Nothing revolutionary, but I’m going to go back in December next year and check against this list. What are your resolutions for 2009?
You should follow me on twitter here.