Busiest airports and travel days this Thanksgiving Weekend
If you've booked your flights or are still planning to travel this Thanksgiving Weekend, here's some information to help you stay in the know and on time when you go.
The Orbitz Insider Index has made a list of the airports expected to be the busiest (read: madly crowded) this Thanksgiving, based on airline ticket sales for travel between November 22-30. Las Vegas McCarran International Airport has taken the top spot, pushing former number-one Chicago O'Hare down the list. And it looks like more people have booked Thanksgiving flights to Miami and Seattle; this is the first year those cities' airports are on the busiest airports list.
Top 10 busiest airports for Thanksgiving 2008
- Las Vegas, NV – McCarran International Airport (LAS)
- New York, NY – LaGuardia Airport (LGA)
- Chicago, IL – Chicago O'Hare International Airport (ORD)
- Los Angeles, CA – Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
- San Francisco, CA – San Francisco International Airport (SFO)
- Dallas, TX – Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW)
- Newark, NJ – New York Newark International Airport (EWR)
- Miami, FL – Miami International Airport (MIA)
- Denver, CO – Denver International Airport (DEN)
- Seattle, WA – Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA)
Of course, if you're still looking to finalize your trip, some days are better for avoiding the hordes than others. Naturally, the Wednesday right before Turkey Day will be crazy, so if you can travel this coming Tuesday, you're golden.
Least busy days over Thanksgiving Weekend:
- Tuesday, November 25
- Monday, November 24
- Saturday, November 29
Busiest days over Thanksgiving Weekend:
- Sunday, November 30
- Wednesday, November 26
- Sunday, November 23
Good luck with your Thanksgiving travel plans, and Happy Thanksgiving!
Do you have any tips about traveling during Thanksgiving or another big holiday? Please share them below.
You should follow me on twitter here.