ESTA explained

Border control stamps in passport

ESTA, or the Electronic System for Travel Authorization, is a requirement from the United States government for travelers using the Visa Waiver Program. The ESTA system is a pre-authorization for travel to the U.S. and lets travelers fill out the I-94W form online before traveling to the U.S.A.

An ESTA clearance is a requirement for travel to the U.S.A. since 12 January 2009, and if a traveler doesn't have this done before arriving at the airport, check in will be denied by the airline. Once a traveler has received clearance, it can be re-used for up to 2 years.

Under the visa waiver program (VWP), the United States allows foreign nationals of the VWP Countries to stay for up to 90 days or less on business or for pleasure without obtaining a visa. The approval is good for multiple entries - meaning you may use it for more than one entry into the U.S.



If you visit Canada, Mexico, and "adjacent islands", those visits don't reset the 90 day maximum stay period. I take "adjacent islands" to mean places like U.S. Virgin Islands and other Caribbean destinations.

Notably, there's no set period which must take place between each visit. The only guidance is that visits should be spaced far enough apart that the Customs and Border Protection officer does not think you are trying to live in the U.S. Of course, trying to visit more than half the year would be a red flag, as would any visit that doesn't have a permissible purpose. I.e. business visits or tourism.

If you're worried they may think you're trying to live there, then you could bring extra documents as evidence - eg, your flight out of America back to your home country, or proof of your current employment and residence at home. In other words anything to convince them that you're not actually surreptitiously residing in the U.S.

The ESTA is most definitely not a visa, and is only usable by citizens of Visa Waiver Program countries. If you're not a citizen of one of these countries, you'll need to apply for a visa at your nearest American Embassy.

Applying for ESTA clearance

Visit the Department of Homeland Security website at You'll need your passport at hand, as well as your first flight details for the U.S. visit and an address where you'll be staying. A hotel address is sufficient.

You should visit the site to apply for your ESTA at least 72 hours before your flight. Once the form is filled in, you'll find out right away whether you've received authorization. Make sure to print out a copy of the confirmation, because you'll need it at the airport or other transportation.

From August 2010 there's a USD 14 ESTA fee to apply for the ESTA clearance.

Countries included in the ESTA Visa Waiver Program

  • Andorra
  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Brunei
  • Chile
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Latvia
  • Liechtenstein
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Malta
  • Monaco
  • Netherlands
  • New Zealand
  • Norway
  • Portugal
  • San Marino
  • Singapore
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • South Korea
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Taiwan
  • United Kingdom

Watch out for scams

There have been a number of website popping up that will assist you in applying for the ESTA, for a fee of course. This is at best wasted money, at worst an outright scam. None of these websites or companies are working together with the Department of Homeland Security so stay well away.

There's also a possibility that a website which isn't the official one, could collect your private information and be used to either steal your identity or break in to your home while away.

Where to apply

Apply only at the official ESTA site here:

You should follow me on twitter here.

Comments are closed


Ordered newest to oldest.

Hi Jenny

Your children aren't automatically British nationals by birth unless one or both parents fulfil certain criteria (this is fairly complicated!). From your information, your children probably are, but I can't say for sure.

If they have, or have a right to, British passports, then add the British nationality.

Worth reviewing this page to find out:

Else, they're probably not British nationals so this wouldn't be added.

Jack on 04 March, 2020


Just completing esta

We all have Irish passports, born in Northern Ireland. I have put country of birth as uk, then citizenship is automatically Irish due to passports. I've then put other nationality as U.K. - by birth. Is this correct?

Jenny on 01 March, 2020

Hello Confused

No, you need to enter the correct details, or you're highly likely to be refused.

Sounds like you have entered some incorrect information / input in the wrong form field along the way?

Jack on 14 January, 2020

Hi, has anyone had this issue? In the applicant details I put in my correct citizenship details. However, I'm now living in the UK, which isnt my citizenship. When I put in contact info, I say uk and it comes up with UK-BRITISH CITIZEN. am i ok just putting that even though its lies?

Confused on 09 January, 2020

Hi Debs

Unless you have a travel history which is incompatible with an ESTA (such as visiting Iraq or Iran, or been denied a visa previously), then you should not have a problem.

Jack on 24 November, 2019

Hi i am travelling to usa i am a British citizen British passport, i currently live in turkey, will i get an esta

Debs on 22 November, 2019

Hi Susanne

I believe that as long as your German passport is valid, it's not strictly necessary.

However, if you're concerned, the best course of action is to re-apply with both citizenships listed on the application.

Jack on 03 November, 2019

Hi! I'm a German citizen and got an esta about a year ago. Since then I've naturalised as a British citizen. I still have my German citizenship and valid passport, and plan to travel on the German passport. Do I need a new esta, because my citizenship situation changed? (When I filled the form in I only had German citizenship.)

Susanne on 01 November, 2019

Yeah I wasn't sure because I was born in the uk, thanks jack for getting back to me , I'll fill in my form now

Linda on 12 June, 2019

Hi Linda

No, you're Irish as only have that nationality / passport. So you don't add another nationality/citizenship unless you actually hold it.

Jack on 10 June, 2019

Hi, could you help please, I'm a bit thick today ! So applying for an esta, I'm Irish with only an Irish passport , but born in uk, I'm now living in the uk about 5 yrs, Ive got confused with the question (other citizenship and nationality) do I put British because I was born there? Thanks

Linda on 09 June, 2019

Hi Lorraine

I don't know how long the timeout is, but as long as you can continue to the next page in less than 10 minutes or so it's unlikely to cause problems.

Just have your passport and travel details ready and you'll do fine.

Jack on 27 March, 2019

I can be a bit slow on a computer will they time me out if I take to long ?

Lorraine Langham on 26 March, 2019

Hi Ghada

It's unlikely that you'd be approved, certainly wouldn't if you've travelled to Iraq since 2011.

Probably worth applying, mentioning all your citizenships and passport details as border control will already have those available. If their information don't match the ESTA details, you could end up being turned away at the border and put on a flight back to your departure location.

Jack on 13 March, 2019

I have an irish possport and im born in iraq and my iraqi passport is expired can apply for esta visa ?

Ghada on 07 March, 2019

Hi Marina

Sorry for not picking this up sooner.

You need to list all citizenships / passports as Homeland Security / border agents will already know of your South African citizenship.

From your message I assume you're born in Portugal, so would, likely, have no issues with the ESTA approval.

Jack on 05 February, 2019


Would anyone be able to help me with the below question?



Marina on 04 February, 2019


Wanting to apply for a ESTA to go to USA in March. I have a Portuguese passport and been living in the UK for 4 years. I also have a south African passport as well. I know it asks if I hold a passport from another country...If I add the south Africa passport as well then will this mean my application for the Esta will be declined? Please let me know as I need to apply for this soon.

Many thanks


Marina on 01 February, 2019

Hi Jesse

I'm not sure you're conveying this correctly.

The Belgian passport should be all you need. An ID card wouldn't be accepted at the US border.

Jack on 30 January, 2019

Hello I need advice regarding ESTA. I was born In Belgium and moved to the United Kingdom and have been living here since August 2006. Whilst applying for ESTA I put citizenship as Belgian and it asked for my identity card which I dont have anymore (expired) but I still hold a valid Belgian passport. Can I not visit with just A Belgian passport?

Jesse on 27 January, 2019

Hi Jack, yes Esta approved, it was on reflection I started to doubt the Esta. I did email the uS helpline but their response is generic, basically advising all information should be correct in relation to Passport info, place of birth and so on.

The only difference is passport states place of birth Antrim and Esta states City of birth Belfast, both are correct. Yes he was born in Belfast City and this is also County Antrim. All other information matches. I was just worried if he got stopped at immigration in Dublin they might query it. He will be on a school trip. Thank you very much for your quick response. Greatly appreciated.

Pauline on 23 January, 2019

Hi Pauline

As Belfast is within County Antrim, and Northern Ireland is part of the UK, those answers are correct.

You may need to explain to the immigration officer how these names relate geographically, should it come up.

I would think that the details match what's in your Irish passport is the key here and if I understand you correctly they do.

Am I correct that you did put the application in, and received authorization?

Jack on 23 January, 2019

Can I ask advice.

Born Northern Ireland, hold Irish passport. Esta questions. City of birth. Answered, Belfast. Country of birth, Answered UK. Then it asks about passport details entered Ireland as passport origin and nationality. I noticed the place of birth on Irish passport reads Antrim. This is a county In Northern Ireland. Is it alright the passport place of birth states Antrim and City of Birth on Esta is Belfast. Tia.

Pauline on 22 January, 2019

Hi Lola

A passport is issued by the United Kingdom, regardless of whether it is via an Embassy or Consulate, or if it's in the UK.

So it seems you have passport only from one country.

The NICOP is confusing, you're quite right.

You do mention you're a dual national since receiving it, and it regards travel, so I'd think this needs to be declared on the ESTA application.

Declare it. You can be certain that US border control will already be aware of it.

Jack on 17 November, 2018

Also I feel like I should have added a few more details. As to explain why the question is confusing me.

I was born in the UK and have lived here my whole life.

However as a Pakistani we are able to have a national Identity card for overseas Pakistanis. NICOP. Which basically means we can travel to Pakistan without having to apply for a Visa (which incidentally means I have become a dual national, even though i have never had a Pakistani passport)

My other predicament is that while in Pakistan my passport ran out and before I could return I had to get it renewed at the British embassy in Pakistan.

So I wasn't sure what the question

Have you ever been issued a passport or national identity card for travel by any other country?

Was referring to.

I wasn't sure what it was that I supposed to be declaring here. Or shall I declare both ?

Lola on 15 November, 2018

I'm really confused about one of the questions on the esta. Under the passport details it asks if Have you ever been issued a passport or national identity card for travel by any other country?

I'm not sure if this is asking me if my British passport had ever been issued in a different country. Or if its asking me if I've ever had a passport or NIC issued as a dual national from a different country

Lola on 15 November, 2018

Thanks for your help Jack, really appreciate it.

SAM on 04 November, 2018

Hi Sam

Your wife will need a tourist visa, the Visa Waiver Program is based on citizenship and not residency or family.

Jack on 22 October, 2018

Hi, I am a British citizen living and working in Ireland. My wife is South African, she has a South African passport and an Irish Resident Card (Stamp4).

I know I can apply for Esta but can my wife do this same as she is married to me or does she need to apply for a tourist visa??

Any help appreciated.

Kind regards


Sam on 21 October, 2018


Yes, should match!

Jack on 07 September, 2018

Hi this might be a silly question, but when applying for the ESTA, does the 'city of birth' need to match the 'place of birth' on my passport?

Thanks, Kayla :)

Kayla on 27 August, 2018

Hi Loren

Sorry for the slow reply.

You should be OK, but if you want a definite answer you'd need to call your local American Embassy.

Jack on 07 August, 2018

Hi, how serious is it if I have answered one question wrong on the question about wether if i have ever had a national card in another country when in fact i never had that but wrongfully Said no. I am a citicen of another country dual citicenship and i answered yes om that question but i didnt think i had ever had a passport or ID card from that country. Is this soemthing they Will ser in their system? My parents made a passport for me in that country when i was a baby /

Loren on 17 July, 2018

Hi Loren

I wouldn't apply for a visa since the ESTA got approved and you're a Swedish citizen.

Jack on 09 June, 2018

Hello, I am born in sweden but have dual citicenship in sweden / turkey. I Will travel with my swedish passport since I never have had a turkish one and i Will be in USA for 5 days with my job. I am just worried that once I arrive in the US they might say that Icant go into the country because of the current situation between the two countries. My ESTA has been accepted nos but I dont want to be sent back to sweden. Should I get a visa just in vase ( its such a long process and expensive though) / Loren

Loren on 06 June, 2018

Thanks Jack :) super helpful, and apologies for the multiple questions!

Becky on 29 April, 2018

Hi Becky

You're a citizen of the country/ies that issued your passport.

So it's all Dutch details/citizenship until you start entering your UK passport details.

Your physical location is irrelevant for any passport details, it only comes into place when listing your home/residence address.

Jack on 29 April, 2018

I figured the how I obtained bit out! Nationality laws can be so complex!

So first set of passport questions (PP I plan to use) ask about issuing country (Netherlands in this case) and country of citizenship - is this Netherlands or where I am physically located and currently registered (UK)?

Sorry about the questions! I'm a bit slow at times :)

Becky on 27 April, 2018


Yes, enter the details based on your Dutch passport in the first set of passport questions.

Unfortunately I can't answer the followup question re how you got British citizenship, there are apparently quite a few paths!

Jack on 27 April, 2018

Thanks Jack :) so I'll apply for esta with my dutch passport. Which will be the country of citizenship in the first round of questions when completing my dutch details, city of birth etc?

And how did I obtain my other citizenship (british) - that was by birth? As one parent is british and the other Dutch it would not be through parents?

Will definitely bring both.

Becky on 24 April, 2018

Hi Becky

That won't be an issue, as both countries are party to the ESTA rules.

Do remember to say you have dual citizenship, else that may be flagged up as an issue. It's also helpful to bring both, scuff marks included.

Jack on 23 April, 2018

Hey, I live and work in UK (Also born in UK) and have a Dutch and British passport. I'm travelling to the USA in a month's time. I actually prefer my dutch passport as it's more robust (plastic ID page). So I plan to use my dutch passport, also because something sticky got into my british passport and after getting it off (not easy) it's left two scuff marks on the observation page. I think it needs replacing...will the US care that I I'm entering on the Dutch passport?

Becky on 22 April, 2018

Hi Simone

You're a British citizen, so you're eligible for an ESTA.

Remember to state you have a second citizenship with Brasil, and also apply early just in case something goes wrong. You want to give yourself enough time to speak to the US Embassy should the automated ESTA application be denied.

Jack on 19 March, 2018


I have a doubt. I am about too apply for my Esta to spend 8 days in NY this year with my husband. I am Brazilian with a dual British citizenship and I live in the UK anyway. Do I need to take other visa? Or can I apply as British Citizen only? I heard I don`t need an extra visa because my dual citizenship, but I would like too do everything correctly to don`t risk my travel plans.

Thanks in advance for your help.

best Wishes,

Simone Ribeiro on 18 March, 2018

Hi WestCoastBoy

I think in your case, as it's complicated, you'd really need to speak with a US consulate or embassy. Yes, you may be queries at the border, though it's likely you'd be allowed to enter and transfer flights as you'll have an onwards ticket.

However, it *may* also be recorded against you, and cause issues in the future. There's also a small risk you'd be denied entry and would have to return to your country of origin, i.e. you'd be flown back to the SA country at your expense.

Most likely, it'll be fine*. As a national or citizen of an ESTA country (i.e. your EU passport) you're eligible for the ESTA program. You also submitted the second citizenship passport details, so you haven't tried to hide anything, even though you misunderstood the question about a 2nd citizenship.

* I am not a lawyer, and this is not legally qualified advice.

Jack on 28 February, 2018

Hi there,

I read through many questions posted here but couldn't find one that would fit my case.

So I have dual nationality of a WVP and non-WVP country. Let's just call them EU for a European WVP country, and SA for a South American non-WVP country.

I currently reside in EU but was born in SA. I recently got an ESTA with EU country and I have already traveled with it to the US.

One thing I now noticed on my ESTA though, was that I stated the passport of SA on my ESTA, but answered No to citizenship of any other country. In my opinion the question was redunant as I entered all the SA passport information which clearly is a statement that I have citizenship of another country, in this case SA. This is why I answered to as in my understanding citizenship of any other country implies having at least another citizenship other than the two passports already entered.

I will soon be traveling to SA by connecting through the US on the way there and back, so I am worried that they could ask why I stated the SA passport but not that I am citizen of SA. In any case, the passport of SA stated in the ESTA has been stolen and I now have a new one.

What is your take on this?


WestCoastBay on 23 February, 2018

Hi Nush

Unless you've been granted British citizenship, you don't have it. There is no automatic citizenship from time spent in the UK.

It's possible your parents (I'm assuming here you moved to the UK with them) arranged for you to have UK citizenship, though you'd most likely be aware of this, it's worth asking just in case. The ESTA form needs to be accurate.

In other words, you're most likely a citizen of Italy only.

Jack on 25 January, 2018


I was born in Italy and have an Italian passport however I have lived in England since I was 1 (now 34). Does that make me an British citizen? I don't have a British passport. I don't know if I should be putting British citizen on the form or not. Thank you :)

Nush on 25 January, 2018

Hi Britta

In both cases, put Germany. You're a German citizen, so your passport is issued by Germany regardless of which consulate may have processed it for you. It helps to remember that when you're on the consulate / Embassy grounds, you're technically on German soil.

Jack on 15 January, 2018

Hello ,

I am a German living and working in England for more then 20 years. My passport is German (European Union) issued by the German Embassy in London. I have got two questions:

1. - on the ESTA form for Citizen ship do I put UK, as I am registered here, or Germany?

2. - Issuing country for the passport UK or Germany, as it was done by the Embassy?

Thank you very much for your help!!

Britta Resas on 09 January, 2018


As you'd be at risk of committing an immigration offence unless the citizenships are declared, your only option is to apply for the ESTA with the full details.

It may well be denied, and if so a visa application is your remaining choice. The same goes for your Dutch / Cuban friend.

Jack on 02 December, 2017


I have double nationality (Dutch and Turkish). I know that I have to declare both nationalities on the application form. Do you think my turkish nationality would have an effect on ESTA application since Turkish citizens cannot really get a visa to enter USA at the moment?

And same question goes for my friend with dutch/cuban nationality.

Thanks in advance!

Anonymous on 01 December, 2017

Hi Linda

I'm not sure in fact. Definitely fill in your passport details, likely UK. If you have any other citizenships these should also be mentioned. If UK is your only one, the UK passport should be sufficient.

To be absolutely sure, you'd need to contact the US Embassy in London.

Jack on 26 November, 2017

Hi there

Trying to fill the Esta. I am a Uk resident but previosly been a Yugoslav citizen and since i doesnt exist anymore is not on the drop menu.

I am confused as what to do?

Linda on 20 November, 2017

Hi Lesley

I believe the country of issue is still UK, even though it was (probably) issued by the UK Consulate in Spain.

The Spanish state didn't issue your UK passport.

Jack on 18 November, 2017

I'm trying to apply for the esta on-line but because my British passport was issued in Spain, as I was living out of the UK at the time and I'm a British citizen, it says country of issue has to be the same as citizenship and it won't allow me to complete the application. Any advice?

Lesley on 17 November, 2017

Hi Emma

No, you don't need to add the Dubai resident's card as it's not a travel document and you're not a citizen there.

Jack on 28 October, 2017

Hi, I'm a UK citizen applying for the waiver but I am currently living in Dubai where I have a residents ID card. Do I have to check the "passport or national identity card for travel" box? The ID card is not a document I can use to travel with but it one that has finger print records etc.

Emma on 27 October, 2017

Hi David

Since your Green Card is expired, simply apply for an ESTA. The visa waiver program is open to all VWP country citizens without a valid visa, and who haven't been barred.

Jack on 17 October, 2017

Hi Jen

As far as I understand it, the 'longterm residents permit' or LPR, is what's colloquially known as the Green Card. So if you've lost the status, both Green Card and LPR are no longer relevant to you?

If that's the case, you'll need to apply for an ESTA, and for your son as well. If the ESTA isn't approved, you'll need to contact the local US Embassy.

There should be no additional risk applying for an ESTA. Explain your situation at border control when you arrive.

However, you should first call the US Embassy and ask about the correct process here since it's complicated.

Jack on 17 October, 2017


My Green Card expired last year and I haven't been in the US for a very long time. I don't intend renewing it because I established my residency in Europe? Can I apply for ESTA (VWP country) or should I do something before that ? Do I take a risk travelling now if I'm an Ex GC holder ?

Thank you !!!

david on 17 October, 2017


I'm a Green Card Holder with double citizenship (VWP country and non-VWP country). I haven't been in the US for 8 years for multiple personal reasons (birth and non-allowance to travel) and I'm afraid I lost my LPR status. Today I want to return to USA to visit my family and renew my Green Card (expiration in 6 months). Should I apply for ESTA if I haven't been in the country for more than a year or should I travel with my GC ? I want at least to visit my family there (as a tourist or GC holder, it doesn't matter). What are my chances to be let in the country ? What do I risk at the airport with the Esta or the GC ?

I'm afraid to travel with my child this time because of the eventual issues. My child has both VWP and non-VWP passport

Can he come with an Esta with me ?

Jen on 17 October, 2017

Hi there.

Your sister should travel on her US passport, the expiry date isn't important as long as not yet expired. She has a right to enter the USA. No ESTA required, if you apply for one with herUK passport details, it may cause delays at immigration.

You and your mum should travel on an ESTA.

Once you arrive at the US Immigration at your arrival airport, ask the staff on hand which line you're best off using given your situation. It's likely your sister and you will be guided towards the US citizens desks, but possibly not. Given your sister's age, your group will likely not be split up.

Though you could potentially be directed to the non-US citizen desks while your mum and sister go through the citizens' lines.

Jack on 17 October, 2017

Hi, wondering if you can help please? I'm due to travel with my mum and sister - we are all UK citizens with UK passports but my sister also has US passport as her dad is US citizen (we live in UK). The problem is my sister's US passport has less than 6 months til it expires - is this an issue? Should we just get her an ESTA and travel on uk passport? (she is quite young so we don't want her to have to go through immigration alone) also if we do go for the ESTA/UK passport solution, will filling in her US passport info on the application cause any issues?

Thanks for your help!

Anonymous on 14 October, 2017

Hi Anna

I'm not a lawyer, but her situation does seem to fit into this common question answered on the DHS site:

"I have dual citizenship from both a VWP [Visa Waiver Program] country and a non-VWP country?

If you are flying under the terms of the VWP, with your VWP passport, you must apply for ESTA. If you are using your non-VWP country's passport, you will require a visa and therefore ESTA does not apply to you."

She will need to travel on her British passport, and can use ESTA instead of a visa as Philipines citizens normally required for visiting the USA.

Jack on 10 October, 2017

Hi There,

Our Filipino nanny is travelling to the US with us next week but she has British Citizenship and a British passport so can therefore get an ESTA,she also has a Filipio passport. Do I state that she is a citizen of both countries or just that she is a British citizen who was previously a Filipino citizen?

Also, is her British citizenship the GBR option or GBO (British overseas?) Help!



Anna on 09 October, 2017

Hi Adam

You travel on your citizenship, so use the Australian passport and your UK address.

Jack on 05 October, 2017

I am an Australian citizen living in the UK. My original 2 year working visa expired, but I now have a Residence Permit Card. Do I need to declare this on my ESTA? I can only see a National Identity Card filter...

Adam Rice on 05 October, 2017

Jack, thanks for the advice.

George on 19 September, 2017

Hi George

Travel on your UK passport, though when asked also give your Jamaican citizenship.

Lying about this may work, but it also puts you at risk of committing immigration fraud, meaning you'll be at the least barred from entering the US for 10 years.

Jack on 19 September, 2017

Hi, I am a British Citizen, with a British passport living in Jamaica. I officially became a Jamaican citizen by reason of descent last year. My esta visa waiver expires sometime this September. When I apply for another visa waiver will my new dual citizenship pose a problem as Jamaica is not one of the countries listed for visa waivers. I do not have a Jamaican passport. Thanks in advance for your advice.

George on 13 September, 2017

Hi Singh

I think the information in my previous replies to Leyla and Sam (directly above) applies to you as well.

Give all the information you can and apply for the ESTA. I believe you're saying that you have never been denied a US visa?

If so, simply put in your current (and only) New Zealand citizenship & passport.

If it is denied, you'll need to speak with the local US Embassy.

Jack on 13 September, 2017


I am a NZ Passport holder.

But in 1999 (when I was an Indian citizen with an Indian Passport), I applied for a US visitor visa which was declined on the basis that docs were not enough. There was no online interview etc in those times and you could just walk-in to the US embassy and file it... a quick interview (compulsary for all) and the decision was taken. I was only 22 yrs then.

I now live in NZ and surrendered my Indian citizenship on the day when I became an NZ citizen.

What are my chances of getting ESTA approved as I wish to travel to US with my family in Christmas? and what do I write as an expiry of the old passport in ESTA? as the passport was cancelled and returned to me but it still hasn't reached its expiry. (and I dont know where that oldest passport is which I used on applying the American visa 18 yrs ago).



Singh on 12 September, 2017

Hi Jack,

Thank so much for your thorough reply!

on 09 September, 2017

Hi Leyla

You can still apply for an ESTA, and should do so early. However, it's likely to be denied.

Note that whatever you do, do not misrepresent your situation or leave the Turkish passport off the application, as you're simply likely to get found out, and deported for visa fraud and so barred for many years.

Here's the full help text from the Customs and Border Protection site:

Q: How would my eligibility for a travel authorization via ESTA be affected if I was previously denied a visa, previously denied an immigration benefit, or previously committed an immigration-related violation?

A: If you were previously denied a visa, or previously refused entry to the United States, or previously removed from the U.S., your ESTA application will most likely be denied.

If you were allowed to board your carrier, you may be subject to additional processing upon arrival at U.S. ports of entry, and may be denied admission to the U.S. Applicants who are uncertain of whether they qualify for travel under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) are encouraged to apply for ESTA authorization early, to allow time to apply for a visa, if needed.

Many people make the mistake of thinking that if they were denied a visa when they were a citizen of one country, then become a citizen of another country, they can travel to the U.S. under the visa waiver program using their new passport. That is wrong. The eligibility question about having been denied a visa does not ask whether or not the denial was made after you became a citizen of another country. It asks, "Have you ever been denied a visa?" - period. If you answer "No" then we determine that you have been denied a visa in the past, we consider that to be fraud, and you will be barred from entry for a number of years. It is better to admit the truth, and then apply for a visa, than go through the experience of being deported for fraud.

In some cases, you may not be sure how to answer this question because you were "allowed to withdraw" your application for entry, or a U.S. Consulate declined to issue you a visa because you did not have enough paperwork for them to make a decision on whether or not to grant you a visa. If this is your situation, we advise you to contact a U.S. Consulate and discuss what happened and ask them to tell you whether or not the withdrawal or declining to issue a visa constitutes an actual denial of entry or visa.

Jack on 07 September, 2017

Hi, I hope you can help me out.

I have a dual citizenship, french and turkish and I currently live in Turkey.

I always travel with my french passport and plan to apply for an ETSA for a trip to the US.

My issue is that when I was a student a few years back I was advised by a turkish work and travel agency to travel with a turkish passport, so I got a passport and my visa request was denied. My turkish passport has expired since and I don't plan to get a new one anytime soon.

Will I still be able to apply for ETSA on my french passport?

Leyla on 05 September, 2017

Hi Sam

No, should not cause any issues to declare another citizenship compared to the previous ESTA application.

For the second country passport, if it will arrive a few days before the travel, it may be best to do the new ESTA application once it does. Else, if there's going to be little margin, include the citizenship, then do as follows for the passport fields (from the official guidance):

"if you don't know the number put "UNKNOWN" in the passport number field and "0000" for the year of expiration".

Jack on 02 September, 2017

Hello, please help - 2 questions :)

I had an ESTA which expired a couple of months ago. I applied under my UK passport.

Since then I have found out I am the citizen of 2 more countries (parents) both also under the visa waiver scheme.

For one country I have the passport which I can put on the form, but will it cause problems that I now declare another citizenship when I didn't before?

And for the second country, I will have a passport by the time I fly to the USA but do not have it now to fill out the number on the ESTA they require. Do I need to declare this passport if I don't have it yet?

thank you

sam on 01 September, 2017

Hi Adrian

I believe he should travel on his current valid ESTA using the Swedish passport, since that passport is not expired.

This is from the DHS site regarding dual citizenship (emphasis mine):

"If you have dual citizenship and have registered with ESTA, you should use your VWP-eligible passport to board the plane when you leave your country of departure and when you arrive in the U.S. If both your countries of citizenship are VWP-eligible, then we strongly recommend you choose which one you want to claim for purposes of travel to the U.S., and use that country's passport each time you travel. One person with two different ESTA authorizations creates confusion that will only delay your travel."

Jack on 14 August, 2017

Hi, I have an existing group ESTA for the family from 2016, but since applying for it I sorted out dual nationality for my son (I'm from the UK living in Sweden and his mum is Swedish so he's eligible for both), so he now has Swedish and UK passports.

Does he need a new ESTA to reflect his multiple passports? He only had a Swedish passport when the original ESTA was granted. Or can he just travel on his Swedish passport?

Thanks for any insight!

Adrian on 13 August, 2017

Hi Abby

If travelling on their British passports, it's most likely they need ESTAs.

Essentially, while being born in the USA will grant citizenship by birth, it does not mean it is retained, so the birthplace is not a guarantee for right to enter the US.

If you yourself is an American citizen, then their entry can probably be done without the ESTA, but would in no way be guaranteed: Immigration officers have a complete right to deny entry to any but citizens, and to a lesser degree permanent residents.

If you have proof of citizenship for your children, then bring that. Birth certificates would not be sufficient, so this effectively means valid US passports. It may work to bring the expired US passports, but that's assuming a level of discretion will be applied.

Essentially, apply for ESTAs, and renew your children's US passports when you can (ideally before travel) if they still have US citizenship.

Jack on 08 August, 2017

Hi, I am planning a trip to USA with my son's who were born in the states but reside in United kingdom. Their passport has expired and they always use their British passport on holiday trips. Would they need to apply for ESTA on their passport even though it says they were born in USA. I am panicking now because I thought i wouldn't need Esta. Many thanks

Abby on 07 August, 2017

Hi Emily

Use the address where you're permanently resident, which I assume is Australia.

Jack on 08 July, 2017

Hi I am an Australian living in Canadian on a 2 year work visa. I am returning home to Australia for 1 week and flying through LA back to Canada on my return. My ESTA has expired so I am renewing it. Which address do I put on the application for my ESTA, my australia or Canadain? I will only be in Canada for 4 more months once I return.

Cheers Emily

Emily on 07 July, 2017

Hi Monika

That's a very good question, and I don't know the answer to it.

I think you're best off by contacting your local US embassy or consulate and pose that question.

Jack on 03 July, 2017

Hi Jack,

I used to have a Greencard which I have returned (and the return has been approved). When I now travel to the US the ESTA form has the question 'Have you ever been issued a passport or national identity card for travel by any other country?' Do I answer this question with yes or no?

Thank you

Monika on 26 June, 2017

Hi Andrea

Should be a non-issue (assuming you have the same passport), and it expires after you leave the USA.

I'm not certain about what the situation is if the ESTA expires on the day of your return flight.

If you're concerned, you can always apply for a new authorization for the Visa Waiver Programme, the cost is just $14 after all, which is not much for peace of mind.

Jack on 09 June, 2017

Hi Jack, I am asking you a question again because I can't get answers from the embassy or apparently any website. Maybe because my problem is not a real problem...

So thanks again for your help and answers!

Im going in July to NY for 10 days and I have a valid ESTA (actually the same I used the last time I was there in February), that will expire right the day I come back.

When I got that ESTA I was working for a company, I am not working with them anymore and now work as a freelance but doing the same thing. Do I need to apply for a new ESTA if I changed my job?

Thank you!!!

Andrea on 09 June, 2017

Hi Mara, sorry for a slow reply but have been away myself.

Essentially, answer the question as it is asked. There's no need to complicate it. That's just more likely to confuse things and hinder travel plans.

If Jamaica did ever issue a travel document for your mum, it's a yes. As she moved over here at only 5 years old, it may well be none was issues, and then answer no.

There are help texts on how to answer any details if the document is not available, like this:

"if you don't know the number put "UNKNOWN" in the passport number field and "0000" for the year of expiration".

Jack on 07 June, 2017

Hi there,

My mum.was born in jamaica but came the uk when she was 5. she then became a citizen through natralization and does not have a jamican passport. she has always travelled on a british one.

On her esta she has answered yes to being a resident in another country and now the have asked the the following question

which we do not know how to answer:

1) Have you ever been issued a passport or national identity card for travel by another country?

This question does not refer to your home country issuing a passport or national identity card while you are abroad.

Can you help us?? We are leaving on wednesday and we are a bit worried as there were no issues last time!



mara on 02 June, 2017

Hi Sheena. As a citizen of the Philippines, you're not eligible for the visa waiver program (ESTA), and will need a tourist visa.

Go to the US Embassy website for Germany

Select 'Nonimmigrant Visas' > 'Tourism, Vacation, Pleasure Visitor'

Jack on 02 June, 2017


I'm a Filipino citizen atudying in Germany. I'm trying to fill up esta but unfortunately in the country of citizenship i couldn't find Philippines there. Do i need ESTA or probably not?

Thank you and kind regards,


Sheena on 01 June, 2017

Hi Paola

No, you're Italian and travelling on an Italian passport. You're a resident in Dubai, but unless you have (or a right to) a Dubai / UAE passport, you're not a UAE citizen.

You need an ESTA, but apply as an Italian citizen, with an address in Dubai.

Jack on 31 May, 2017


I'm italian and I Live in Dubai. I need esta to travel from dubai to miami. i have residence in Dubai. should i consider my self a citizen of UAE ?


paola on 26 May, 2017

Hi Mary

If you only applied but have not been granted Philippine citizenship, you probably don't have to list it.

Jack on 04 May, 2017

Hi I got my British citizenship through naturalisation I just recently applied for dual citizenship to be able acquire property in the Philippines but I haven't applied for Philippine passport do I need to declare my dual citizenship when applying for ESTA

Mary on 29 April, 2017

Hi Pinella

Your husband will only need the green card. ESTA is a visa waiver, and the green card is a permanent residence visa.

I.e. he's already got a valid visa for entry into the USA.

Jack on 21 April, 2017

Hi there.

I have a question my husband is a us green card holder and Italian citizen on his italian passport says italy as his residence does he need an esta? Or just his green card to enter the us?

Pinella on 20 April, 2017

Hi Bill

No, if you're ordinarily resident in the UK, that's what you should put.

Otherwise, ESTA is based on citizenship in any case.

Jack on 21 March, 2017

Hi there,

I am a UK citizen with a UK passport. I have been renovating a building in Bogota and have a multiple entry year long Visa for Colombia (Sept 2016 to Sept 2017 - as a property owner). I consider myself a resident of the UK and am travelling on holiday to California in April for a couple of weeks. I intend to put UK as my residency - will this cause problems with my ESTA application ??

Bill McLellan on 15 March, 2017

Hi Sarah

Sorry for the slow reply on this, hope this is in time:

If you don't have the previous passport details, there's some help text accessible by hovering on the little question mark symbol:

"if you don't know the number put "UNKNOWN" in the passport number field and "0000" for the year of expiration".

You may well get a few extra questions on this from the border agent, just let him know what's happened to your Australian passport (but don't say it's lost unless both lost and reported to the police, but rather misplaced during a move or similar).

In most countries, there are strict reporting requirements if a passport is lost as stolen passports are quite valuable for fraudsters and/or undocumented migration.

Jack on 07 March, 2017


I am in need of some help please. I was born in Australia and as my parents are from Great Britain I have dual nationality. In 2006 I applied for an Australian passport to go traveling for a few weeks. I have not used it since then and have no clue where it is.

The question on the ESTA about having another passport and filling in the details is stopping me form completing the form.

I am unsure what to do as there is no option for "lost" or "I have no idea where my passport is to find the number". The Australia passport would also have been in my maiden name.

Do you have any idea how to get around this?

Thanks in advance

sarah on 03 March, 2017

Hello R

If you don't have the previous passport details, there's some help text accessible by hovering on the little question mark symbol:

"if you don't know the number put "UNKNOWN" in the passport number field and "0000" for the year of expiration".

Be prepared to explain why to the border agent. Ideally, you could also bring your daughter's birth certificate with you.

Jack on 15 February, 2017

Hi Ricky

It's unlikely that this would come under any scrutiny. Did the automated evaluation go through and the ESTA was issued?

If so, have a great trip!

Jack on 15 February, 2017


Born and living in N. Ireland all our lives, which means we are entitled to dual citizenship to UK and Ireland. My partners UK passport is 6 years old which means it did not have the bio-metric chip so rather than renew it, she purchased an Irish passport.

We are travelling to the USA in March exactly 6 months from the day the Irish passport was issued.

Passport Information section was answered with the Irish passport details.

******************************************************************The next section seems ok!

******************************************************************Have you ever been issued a passport or national identity card for travels by any other country?

We said yes and provided the UK passport details.

******************************************************************This final section concerns us!!!


Are you now a citizen or national of any other country?

We said yes and added UK - British Citizen.

How did you acquire citizenship / nationality from this country? By birth.


Clearly she owns two valid passports now (UK and valid Irish passport) but will only be travelling on the Irish passport to the USA.

Does those answers correct based on the circumstances?


Ricky on 14 February, 2017

PS. I forgot to add that I am an Australian Citizen only and was residing in the States when she was born. We would both be entering the country with Australian Passports.

R on 09 February, 2017

Hi Jack,

I am travelling to the USA from Australia with my daughter who is a dual USA/Australian citizen. We moved to Australia when she was only a few months old and although she had a US passport as a baby it expired over 10 years ago. She has since travelled with an Australian passport. The ESTA asks for previous other country passport details but I can not find her old expired passport. Any advice.?

R on 09 February, 2017

Hi Susan

Your ESTA will be valid unless the below applies to your travels:

"Nationals of VWP countries who have been present in Iraq, Syria, Iran, Sudan, at any time on or after March 1, 2011 (with limited government/military exceptions)."

An ESTA is valid for two years, assuming you haven't renewed your passport in that time.

Jack on 27 January, 2017

Hi Andrea

The local Dubai ID isn't a relevant angle, that's only applicable in Dubai and US border control is unlikely to care in any way. As you're not going to permanently reside in Dubai, it's also irrelevant.

The ESTA is done on your passport nationality in any case, and you'll always be Spanish. As such, you're eligible for VWP travel.

As long as you're on the same passport as your previous trip to the USA, the ESTA will be valid unless the below applies to your travels:

"Nationals of VWP countries who have been present in Iraq, Syria, Iran, Sudan, at any time on or after March 1, 2011 (with limited government/military exceptions)."

Jack on 27 January, 2017

Hi I have an esta visa from august 2015, I'm traveling in the next few weeks to the USA is my esta still valid thank you

Susan Lutchman on 26 January, 2017

Hi Jack!

Wow I have read most of the questions here to see if any could apply to my case and it's really impressive how clearly you are answering them all. Thank you.

I am a Spanish citizen and moved to Dubai for work a few months ago, planning to stay less than a year. I just got my Dubai visa yesterday and they are suppoused to issue the local id through my company at some point in the next couple of weeks.

I have a valid ESTA that I made a year and a half ago while I was in spain, and now I am flying for vacations to USA for a week at the beggining of February.

I already updated the address where I am going to stay during that week. My question is: Do I need to get a new ESTA because now I have a visa for Dubai? I might get the local id card (again, is not a citizenship or anything, just an identification card)before I leave for USA, but I dont know if it will be ready and given to me by then or not. Should I apply for a new ESTA in that case?

Thank you very much in advance for your help!

Andrea on 24 January, 2017

Hi Margot

As your son is a natural born US Citizen, he will not have any issues despite entering on a Belgian passport. However, I'd be sure to have his US passport with him next time he goes through immigration, as the Belgian passport will probably flag up as overstaying.

For the above, yes you may avoid some delays at the airport (likely only first time from now) by exiting and re-entering on the US passport. But, it's not exactly free unless you're close to a border or would be travelling in any case.

However, if you're not on a US passport, it would be very prudent to stay less than the 90 day period, as you'd otherwise be flagged as overstay. That means you'd need a visa to visit the US, being blocked from the ESTA/VWP. I think this may be the case from your query.

Best regards

Jack on 23 January, 2017

Hi Jack,

My newborn son who is a US citizen by birth entered the US on his Belgian passport with an ESTA. We had not applied for his American passport yet when visiting our relaties in Belgium and we were told at the airport that this would Be the fastest way to deal with our situation. We were not planning to leave the US within 90 days. Will we get into trouble if we don't it should we leave the country briefly and reenter with his US passport (which we will apply for right away)?

'Margot on 17 January, 2017

Hi Andre

With the proviso that I'm not a lawyer...

I think you should take the guidance as written, in that you do have a visa and as such can't travel on ESTA under the Visa Waiver Program.

Mind, you may be able to apply for and get an ESTA approved, and it may or may not hinder you at immigration. However, if you're breaching the VWA rules, the border agent would be well within his/her right to deny you entry.

Jack on 06 January, 2017

Dear Jack, I have dual citizenship (Brazilian and Italian) and currently hold a B1/B2 US Visa on my Brazilian passport. I got a new Italian passport recently with the electronic chip on it (my prior one was issued in 2006 and didn't have that). Simple question: can I apply for ESTA using my new Italian passport while still holding a VISA on my Brazilian one? The ESTA site says that I cannot apply for the program "if I have a visa", but may that be interpreted as "if I have a visa on my Italian passport"? I just want to avoid the long lines for non-ESTA visitors... Many thanks in advance and for all the help your page has been providing.

Andre on 04 January, 2017


So, I'm understanding you're still a US Citizen. As such, you should normally enter the US on your US passport.

While I encourage you to contact the US Consulate in London to check, I think your best option is to bring the expired US passport with you while travelling on the UK passport.

Because you're travelling on a foreign passport as a citizen of a VWP (visa waiver) country, you'd need the ESTA clearance!

Once at immigration, go to the US Citizen line, and have a chat with the border agent about your situation to get clarity. As a citizen of the US, you do of course have a right to entry once you've been verified as a citizen. In practice, the expired passport will likely do this, but you may be interviewed before being let through.

It would be better to contact the consulate, and most likely, to renew your US passport and keep it active.

None of this will affect your US citizenship. Renouncing citizenship is a wholly different process which you'd have to apply for.

Jack on 04 January, 2017


There are some new requirements regarding travellers to the USA who have visited Iraq, as you mention. Travel under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP)is not permitted, with a few exceptions relating mainly to military service.

"Nationals of VWP countries who have been present in Iraq, Syria, Iran, Sudan, at any time on or after March 1, 2011 (with limited government/military exceptions)."

No, you won't be able to travel under the VWP, and your ESTA is no longer valid as you're not eligible.

You will need to contact the US Embassy in London, and apply for a tourist visa.

Jack on 04 January, 2017

I have an expired US passport and am a U.K citizen. I am going to the us and using my uk passport. Do I need to get an ESTA? I live in the U.K and can't see why I should keep both passports going. It's too expensive! But will I encounter ant problems travelling as a U.K. Citizen? Will thus affect my US citizenship?

Marie on 27 December, 2016

Hi I am a British Citizen and travelled to the USA last year in October and currently hold an ESTA that is valid until September 2017. However, in December last year, I went on a pilgrimage to Iraq and was hoping to go the America to visit my cousin.

Does my trip to Iraq invalidate my ESTA?

Will I still be able to travel to the USA?

What do I need to do, if anything before I travel?


Fatima on 26 December, 2016

You need to contact the US Embassy in London (or your local one) to discuss this. She's correct in that ESTA isn't a valid option if you've been denied entry to the US. From the FAQ:

"If you plan on staying in the United States for more than 90 days or have been previously denied entry into the country, you must apply for U.S. visa."

I think she'll need a tourist visa, unfortunately.

Jack on 17 December, 2016

Hi my daughter has a british passport and an esta . when living in Canada she had to cross the ca/us boarder to validate her Canadian work visa . she was refused entry into us and her work visa was validated at the boarder on Canadian side. My daughter is now coming on holiday withus to florida and is worried because she was refused entry once that she mght not be let in . Her esta is still valid for her travel dates

What do you think????

jane whitthhread on 15 December, 2016

Hi Parris.

As a US citizen travelling on a US passport, ESTA does not at all apply to you.

ESTA is a program only for visitors/citizens from certain countries (see list in the article above) who don't need a full visitors' visa to the United States of America.

For visiting Portugal, NO VISA IS NECESSARY if you are a U.S. citizen and will be traveling to Portugal for up to 90 days. However, you will need a valid U.S. passport for at least 6 months from the date of planned return or other travel document recognized by member States of the Schengen Agreement.

Jack on 06 December, 2016

I am a US citizen with a US passport and in June, I am flying to Spain, with a layover in Lisbon, for one week. I am flying with TAP Portugal and it says to check the box if "I am aware of the obligation to require an electronic authorization The link opens in a new Window to travel to the United States of America, under the Visa Waiver Program." Do I need an ESTA to fly there? Do I need an ESTA for my flight back to the US?

Parris on 03 December, 2016

Hi Mark. If the form will take 'UNKNOWN', I'd go with that. Functionally, it's the same in that there's no number supplied for the old passport.

Jack on 01 December, 2016

With regards to not knowing my old passport numberunder Dual Citizenship, the online ESTA form does not allow me to leave the entry blank (as you stated above on relating "Emer"s reply. I read you should just put 'UNKNOWN' What are your thoughts. Thanks

Mark on 01 December, 2016

Hi Emer

In your situation, the following applies (quoted from the ESTA site):

"If you have any additional passports, please enter the most recent passport information, even if that passport is expired. If you are a dual citizen but do not have a passport from another country, select the country from the drop down list and do not enter anything in the Passport Number field."

Hope that helps

Jack on 23 October, 2016

Hi, i have an Irish passport, i am from Northern Ireland so have British and Irish citizenship, i have had a British passport in the past but it is expired and i can no longer remember the number, what do i put in the passport number box?

emer on 19 October, 2016


Correct, put both on the application.

Jack on 04 October, 2016

Hi, I have Irish citizenship and British citizenship. I have a Irish passport now but i used it have a British passport before When filling in the form It asks if you are now a citizen or have been of any other country? Do I put yes because I am a citizen of the UK through birth? Thank you

Aaron Hynes on 29 September, 2016


That's good news then.

Jack on 23 September, 2016

@Sarah, ESTA does not apply to the United Kingdom, you do however need a British visa as a Brazilian citizen. See here for details.

Jack on 02 May, 2016

@ Jack: You're wrong, no visa needed for Brazilians for tourism in UK

Anonymous on 19 September, 2016

I don't think it's relevant, as ESTA is a US program, not British or Japanese.

There might be some information sharing between the US and Japanese intelligence services, and if Japan doesn't allow dual citizenship, there'd be a slight chance it might get picked up that you're keeping the British one.

However, that's entirely outside the scope of the article (or anything I know about really).

If this is a serious concern, it would be best for you to discuss the issue with a Japanese immigration attorney.

Best regards

Jack on 14 September, 2016

Hello, I am about to travel from Japan on a Japanese passport, but I still have a British one in the UK, which I haven't yet renounced. When I fill out my second passport as British on the ESTA form, will this cause problems returning to Japan?

Yamada on 13 September, 2016

I am from sweden and only have my swedish passport and my american green card, flying to sedan to visit family, do i need to apply for ESTA ?

Arazo on 18 August, 2016

Hi Dave

Unless she has applied for British Citizenship and received it, she's solely an Italian citizen from what you're saying. She does have permanent residency in the UK though, but not at all the same thing.

I.e. for ESTA, she's living in the UK, and is an Italian citizen.

Jack on 01 August, 2016

hi my wife who was born in italy came to live in the uk in 1961 ,she has an italian passport,she has worked here all her life and is married since 1982 to a uk citizen ,she`s going to visit her niece in america for 2 weeks and is not sure wheher she is a british citizen?national or what for her esta application,can anyone help please,

thanks dave

david on 31 July, 2016

Hi again Amy

As the ESTA application was approved, that should be it. However, immigration officers have the right to, and sometimes do, quiz visitors further. If so, just say what the situation is, that he no longer has a UK passport or its details, but remains a UK citizen.

He might get asked when he last had a the UK passport and such.

As long as you're not otherwise suspicious (weird travel patterns etc) I don't think it'll be an issue.

Having said that, the officers also have the right to deny entry on almost any ground, and people have been turned back for (at least what they've told me) odd reasons. That is rare, and it's not in their interest to do so!

Visitors mean tourist spending and business deals after all.

Jack on 28 July, 2016

Thanks for getting back to me.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the dual citizenship question - my boyfriend has an Aus passport but no longer has or knows his UK passport details. In the ESTA application it says if you don't know your other passport details to type UNKNOWN for the number and 0000 for the expiry date & the ESTA is approved, but I'm not sure what this means when you land and go through immigration? Can you enter like normal or do they quiz you and ask for more info/details when you go through? Just worried because we don't know them? haha I hate US immigration, so co confusing and scary. thanks again...

Amy on 26 July, 2016

Hi Amy

As you have an email advising your current ESTA will be valid, go ahead and print that to bring together with your other travel documents. Just in case you get any questions.

But as advised, you're fine.

Jack on 26 July, 2016

Thank you Jack

Christine on 26 July, 2016

Hi there

I have an ESTA which expires on July 31st and I arrive in the US at 645am on July 30th. I've called the ESTA desk in washington and emailed, and have been told I will have no issues- my ESTA is valid for entry even though it expires the day after I arrive. As long as it's valid the day you travel. But what do you think - will immigration/customs question me at the border if my ESTA expires the next day? Just confused about what I should do here, but have an email and a phone call confirming I will be ok? Just worried about what happens on the border though...



amy on 25 July, 2016

Hello Christine

Should have no issues at all, just list both in the application.

Jack on 25 July, 2016


I have dual British/South African citizenship with two valid passports. I now live in South Africa. Is this a problem when applying to Esta?

Christine on 24 July, 2016

Hi, I have Irish citizenship and British citizenship. I currently have an Irish passport but in the past had a UK one. When filling in the form I can't give my passport number from the UK as I no longer have it (too many house moves!) - what do I put in the box? Also it then asks if you are now a citizen or have been of any other country? Do I put yes because I am a citizen of the UK through birth? Thank you!

Linda on 07 July, 2016

Hi Rob

Seems you've left this massively late unfortunately. It would seem that you basically can only take your chances following USCIS' recommendation.

Good luck

Jack on 16 June, 2016

Hi Jack:

My wife is a Swedish citizen with an expired Green Card and is scheduled to come to the US in 3 weeks. She is living and raising our kids in Sweden but spends every summer in the US during school break. Can she apply for an ESTA and travel on her Swedish passport or will DHS deny her travel ? I have spoken to USCIS who tell us to apply for a new I90 and travel anyway but CBP tell us they would most likely stop her at the airport. We are prepared to turn in the green card with the I407 abandonment form or renew with I90 (But not sure they would approve it) we just need to get her to the US without much hassle as she will be traveling with our 2 young children.


Rob on 13 June, 2016


Since you don't have any other passport, just add in the British one. You'll need to answer everything else, which means entering country of birth as Pakistan.

You should have the passport information for Pakistan in your asylum papers, but if not you'll have to leave this empty.

There's a huge caveat in that I'm not an immigration lawyer, but you may be OK not entering the second passport information.

A better idea may be to phone the US Embassy and ask what you should be doing here?

Jack on 16 May, 2016

Hi me and my daughter wants to travel u.s this summer we have british passports which says british citizenship but i was born in pakistan so can i apply esta or i need visa also they ask in application that if u r from another country do you have any passports and the passport number i had a pakistani passports its about 10 years ago i submitt in homeoffice to get assylum i dont have any information of that what should i write then please help

Asma on 16 May, 2016

Hello ! My husband and I are travelling to New York in October from Ireland , I have a dual citizenship, I was born in America, does my husband still have to fill out the ESTA , I'm sure he does but wasn't sure , when my mother married my father , who was a us citizen she got a green card (many many years ago!!) thanks for your advice

Mary, May 2016

Mary on 14 May, 2016

@Sarah, ESTA does not apply to the United Kingdom, you do however need a British visa as a Brazilian citizen. See here for details.

Jack on 02 May, 2016

@Corazon, Philippine natural-born citizens can't use ESTA. So unfortunately you need to apply for a U.S. visa at your nearest United States embassy or consulate.

Jack on 02 May, 2016

I am a Brazilian citizen ( I have a Brazilian passport) and i also have a green card , i am traveling to the UK and i was wondering if i need to apply for ESTA? just making sure

sarah on 28 April, 2016

Im a filipino working in italia and not an italian citizen but only the so called pernesso d sogiorno can i apply this ESTA for united states

Corazon teppang on 28 April, 2016

The ESTA is individual in all cases, and it's multiple entry, so you're OK as long as it's less than 2 years old.

Jack on 28 March, 2016

I got approved ESTA FOR FLORIDA as a couple but im going to new york in April by my self do i have to get a new ESTA

Graham Williams on 21 March, 2016

Hi Sinisa. I think it's the citizenship that matters, not whether a passport has been issued.

It's very unlikely to be an issue, given that she's a minor and has Irish citizenship.

I would be prepared to have a few questions asked at the border entry desk, and it might be good to include some documents such as recent grades from the school in Ireland, and others that would show her living there full time.

Jack on 03 March, 2016

Hi, my daughter is travelling to the states with my wife. She is 11 years of age and has a dual citizenship: Ireland and Bosnia-Herzegovina. She has never been issued with the Bosnian passport. My wife did not enter on the ESTA form that the daughter has Bosnian citizenship. Should this cause any problems? It is not possible to go back and change this on the ESTA form. Please advise.

Sinisa on 02 March, 2016

Hi Richard. As long as you don't have residency (Green Card or White Card, i.e. long term visa) you're exposed to the 180 days maximum in 365 days rule. So, can't be in the country more than 6 months total per year.

Apart from that, using ESTA should be perfectly fine.

If I was you, I'd bring a copy of your marriage certificate along in case immigration starts asking more challenging questions. Maybe also a letter from your wife, with her confirming that you're still working and won't seek to permanently reside in the US until you retire in practice.

It may also in that case be useful to have a letter/reference from a trusted client regarding your work for them.

But this is all 'belts-and-braces' stuff, you're unlikely to come across any real issues apart from some curious/probing questions about your relationship.

Jack on 22 February, 2016

I am married to a lovely American lady for just over 2 years but I am a UK Citizen with UK passport. Although now past the state pension age I still work as consultant in my own business. I visit my wife about 3 times a year about a month or 6 weeks at a time. She comes to the UK about twice a year for a month or six weeks at a time. Until she reaches retirement age I do not intend to get a green card as I will not be permanently staying in US so I come and go on an ESTA. Although I have an vague e-mail from the US Embassy in London I am still very nervous about it all. Your opinion would be appreciated

Richard Culverhouse on 17 February, 2016

You'll be fine, this happens all the time. As long as the passport is valid and your ESTA came back as approved, you'll be allowed to enter.

Border security agents know that people move homes after all.

Jack on 03 February, 2016

Hello, I'm also on the confused side! My passport address and my actual address are different (however still within the same country) - passport states my permanent residence. I filled in the ESTA form a few days ago and now it hit me - the address from my passport and the address I've put in the "Your contact details" don't match. I'm scared now that I won't be able to enter the country because of that. Could you clarify this, please? Thank you!

Polona on 01 February, 2016

Hi Sara

You simply give the Italian passport details, and your current address in NL.

You living in The Netherlands as a European citizen has no relevance, it's the passport that affects your ESTA eligibility.

Have a great trip

Jack on 27 January, 2016

Hi, I'm applying for ESTA 'cause I will be travelling through the States in 2 weeks. I am in Italian citizen but I'm currently living in The Netherlands, even though I'm not registered into the Registry of Italians Resident Abroad (A.I.R.E.) so it's kind of "not official" (of course I'm staying in NL legally with all permissions and such). Now which address should I fill in my ESTA application, the italian or the dutch one? My passport is italian and it has no address in it, it only states that my residence is in Napoli - Italy.

I'm confused, could you help? Thanks.

Sara on 27 January, 2016

Hi Eleanor.

Each member of the party, i.e. you, your new husband, and your son, will need their own passport.

So the details just need to be accurate for your own travel documents.

As you've previously entered on your French passport (and I'm assuming this is the same passport number), you may still have a valid ESTA as it is for two years.

Else, you can get a new one with the same passport without issues.

And as a bonus, as you've entered with the passport before, you can even use the electronic passport control, if your arrival airport has them.

Jack on 26 January, 2016


I got a French citizenship and passport and an Israeli one as well.

I used to enter USA with the French passport using the ETSA visa.

I got divorced and remarried but didn't changed yet the name on my French passport so it's doesn't fits my Israeli family name.

noted that my old family name appears on both (I add my husband name).

Can this cause me problems when trying to enter United states?? I want to travel there with my husband and son in a few months.

I will appreciate the help. Im afraid to get the border and get a denial of entering.

Thanks :)

Eleanor M on 25 January, 2016

Hi Alejandro.

In your case, you should phone the local US Embassy and ask advice.

If that's impossible (and this is definitely a case of 'I am not a lawyer'), fill in the ESTA with the dual citizenship, and the US citizenship. Then use the valid passports for details.

Should you do this, I would strongly advice to bring the expired US passports with you to US immigrations, and be prepared for delays as you may need to explain the situation in detail.

Good luck.

Jack on 13 January, 2016

Dear Jack, help needed. My two sons were born in the US. I, the father, and my wife, the mother, are citizen of a VWP country. We are not US citizens. We got their US passport when they were under 1 year old to came back to our VWP country and have lived there since 5 years. We are going to Orlando in a couple of weeks for vacations. Their US passports are now expired and since the trip is around the corner, there is no enough time to get a US passport renewal for them. So, we would like them to enter and exit the US using their valid VWP country passport. Filling out the ESTA form, we found a question about dual nationality. If we put YES, we will need to state that they are US citizen. Will this action automatically reject their ESTA application? Or should we simply put NO to the second citizenship? Thanks in advance.

Alejandro on 12 January, 2016

Hi Helen

This site doesn't help administer anything about ESTA, it's for information only.

Having said that, I've never been asked for the printout. Immigration in the US will have a record against your passport with your approved ESTA.

It should also be emailed to you, and the details in the email can be used to get a new printout done.

In any case, go ahead and travel, you won't have any issues due to no print out.

Jack on 11 January, 2016

Good evening,

I have applied for my esta visa clearance which was approved. I took a photo shot of the visa esta on my phone to be printed, but my phone drop and broke so access to my my information. I will be travelling from London UK.

If I am not able to get back the details, will I have any problem on entry to the US? Or can you please send me an email of my esta visa clearance.

Kind Regards

Helen Carr.

Helen Carr on 03 January, 2016

You'll be travelling on your Belgian passport, and you should probably bring your expired US passport with you. State dual citizenship on your ESTA application.

From my understanding you should travel on your US passport there, but as expired you'll need to use your Belgian one.

Hopefully the ESTA application will come through OK, else you'll need to speak to your local US Embassy immediately, so I'd do the application today.

Jack on 29 December, 2015







GREG REMY on 28 December, 2015

Hi William. In your case, I would talk to the US Embassy.

The indefinite visa may be valid, or it may be recalled.

For the ESTA, I'm not sure as haven't looked over the new rules properly yet.

Best of luck, US visa rules are complicated at best.

Jack on 25 December, 2015

Hi. I am a UK citizen with an ESTA valid until August 2016. I'm planning to visit my daughter in April. She is in California on a student visa. I have travelled to Iraq on business for an oil company several times since 2011. Under the new rules does that invalidate my existing ESTA or would the new rules only apply for new applications? In addition I have a very old (1980s) indefinite multi entry US visa in an old passport. As it is 'indefinite' is it still valid. Thank you.

William on 23 December, 2015

No, U.S. citizens do not require a visa as they have a right to enter the country, so a visa exemption isn't needed.

Jack on 13 December, 2015

My son is a US citizen and play professional ball in Kosovo. He planning a trip home for Christmas . Does he need a ESTA?

Renee T on 10 December, 2015


ESTA works on your citizenship / passport used, so as you're not a Brazilian citizen, you're/should be fine to use ESTA pre-clearance.

Jack on 16 November, 2015


Glad you found out what was going on, I wouldn't have guessed that one! Definitely proof the hotline works, and I need to add that tip to the article as well.

He should be able to get a new passport for Xmas, so your travels should be all good now.

Sorry for slow reply, as been travelling myself.

Jack on 16 November, 2015

Hi there. I am a UK citizen with a UK passport thinking to be a resident of Brazil. If I do, can I still enter the USA with ESTA or will I like all Brazilians need a Visa. I do not and will not have a Brazilian passport. Thanks

Jo on 12 November, 2015

Well, we found out what the issue was by calling the ESTA hotline - his passport had been reported as missing or stolen so it was flagged by Interpol. Hopefully a new passport will solve the issue.

Lucy on 09 November, 2015

Hello, US citizen here who was planning on traveling with spouse to the US for a trip to visit family over Christmas. My spouse is a Swedish citizen who has entered the US twice without any issues (ESTA pre-clearance granted) but when he applied for a trip over Christmas this year he was denied... twice (he re-applied just to be sure). Any clue about why he would suddenly be denied when everything in the application looked OK and he has no record, never overstayed, has a job/apartment/life in Sweden, never had any issues whatsoever...? We are very confused and it's really a shame he now has to apply for a B2 visa at the consulate as we're not sure he can get one in time.

Lucy on 07 November, 2015


If your parents are connecting via a U.S. airport, yes they'll need an ESTA. As most American airports don't have an airside transfer area for international connections, they'll need to pass through immigration and customs to get that connecting flight.

It's only $14 per person, thankfully, and takes 5 minutes to do online via one of the links in the above article.

Jack on 28 October, 2015

Great thank you so much Jack :)

Michaela on 25 October, 2015

Hi, my parents are traveling to Russia in a couple of days and we are getting notices via email that they need to complete this ESTA application. Is that true?

Lala on 25 October, 2015

Hi Michaela

So, I took a look at the Canadian site for eTA (electronic Travel Authorization) to check on your requirements as an Australian. Currently, you don't need an authorization, but I noted this:

"Starting March 15, 2016, you need an eTA to visit or transit Canada by air. You can apply now for an eTA.

If you travel by land or sea, you will not need an eTA when you enter Canada. However, you must travel with proper identification."

Specifically responding to your query about the ESTA, this will not cover you, as ESTA is an American travel authorization.

Good news is that as an Australian, you currently don't need one at all for Canada.

Jack on 18 October, 2015

HI I am an Australian who will be travelling to Canada Toronto and then spending 4 days in New York and heading back into Canada before heading home to Australia. I already have a valid ESTA and Australian passport. Do I need another for of VISA to enter Canada or does my valid ESTA cover me for this?

Thank you in advance,


Michaela on 17 October, 2015


Sorry the reply is a little delayed.

I think you may need to chat to a specialist, however. I'm uncertain whether travelling on an ESTA is the right choice here.

In general, you can't spend more than 180 days in the USA without a visa allowing it in any rolling year. Seems like you're coming up against that limit for the overall stay. Also, you're intending to work, possibly informally (which you can't get a visa for of course), so you'd require a visa. That means your friend would need to sponsor you. If you don't get a visa, you'd be best off ensuring the working part isn't public knowledge, you don't want a visa violation issue with U.S. immigration.

The break to Germany should, if you choose to use ESTA, give you another 90 day period on your return from Germany. However, the officer processing you at the border may give you a shorter period as it's your second visit in succession, possibly just 30 or 60 days.

If you're flexible, that may be OK. If not, get a visa.

There are visas for temporary agricultural workers called the H-2A visa, which requires Department of Agriculture approval and has a multi-step process plus a fee. If using this, you also need to look up the tax treatment of your wages, and scrupulously pay them so your friend doesn't get in trouble with IRS.

Also, the visa approval can take some time, though once approved, the visa is valid for a year.

In summary: You could travel on ESTA, but it's not legal for your purpose, and I wouldn't recommend it.

Jack on 19 August, 2015

Hi all. Hopefully some of you might have advise for me? I am invited to work on a friends farm from April to October next year in upstate New York. I want to book a return flight in back to Germany to participate in my brothers wedding ceremony and planned to stay two weeks in Germany before returning to the US. Fortunately the "break" in my home country (@Paul had a similar issue) is planned before a 90 days stay in the US. My question is what type of visa I would need? Should I make an appointment in the embassy and talk about my plans with an officer there? Would be nice if someone could help me out :)

Have a nice day!


Max on 17 August, 2015


You should be OK using the Italian address as long as you have some connection to it, like it's a family home.

Jack on 10 August, 2015

hello, I have an Italian passport and from last october i'm working and living in Switzerland. In my ESTA application my country of residence is currently Italy, as i n my passport and ID document. Do I need to update the address?

Annapaola on 06 August, 2015


Thank you very much for the information!

I may also ask my sister in USA( a longtime citizen) to write a letter of sponsorship/guarantee for my wife. Perhaps that may add some weight. I get the feeling that the USA(like most countries, is quite wary of tourists trying to settle illegally, so it seems if I/we can allay those fears in our case then it should make things easier.

Thanks also for the congratulations!

Fred Boulton on 21 July, 2015

@Fred Boulton

Frankly, I doubt the ESTA permit (which is simply a tourist-visa equivalent for certain countries) carries any weight what-so-ever.

Her marriage to you, and your respective connections to other countries than the U.S. should be more meaningful. In her case, property holdings and a steady job, and in yours the Australian citizenship (supporting factor only).

She will need to get a normal tourist visa, though the specific circumstances, and it effectively being a honeymoon trip, should make the visa straightforward.

Caveat: I'm not a lawyer, and immigration/visa decisions can at times be perplexing.

If in serious doubt, contact a specialist lawyer on this issue, and at the very least don't book travel until you have a visa arranged for your wife to be.

Last but not least: Congratulations!

Jack on 21 July, 2015

I am an Australian Citizen at present in the Philippines on an extended tourist visa. I will be marrying a Filipina and we are planning a 3-week vacation to visit my sister in USA at Christmas this year.

I have a current ESTA, expiring August 2016. Will my marital state and my ESTA add weight to my wife's US visa application?

She fulfills the criteria already, such as owning freehold properties, regular employment, a bank account with funds and can get a letter from her employer, so I wonder if being married to me, an ESTA holder will be of benefit?

Thank you for any advice.

Fred Boulton on 21 July, 2015

@Steve: In practice, though this may be a technical breach, I'd just use the Taiwan passport & citizenship details. There is no reason to bring an expired passport then.

The overstay may or may not be an issue as so long ago, and you were a minor. I am not a lawyer, but as long as the online ESTA application goes through, I'd think the immigrations officer would disregard it entirely. Note that they have the power to turn you away for any reason, even if that reason is disliking your t-shirt color...

Good travels!

Jack on 06 July, 2015

A follow up question:

I'll be traveling on my TWN passport, would I need to bring my expired UK passport as well?

Thanks again!

Steve on 06 July, 2015

Hi, my situation is kind of weird, I have dual nationalities, TWN and UK. I'm traveling to the States for a 3 week vacation. The issue is:

1. I overstayed my visa on my old UK passport over 20 years ago as a kid. (Family health issue.)

2. My current UK passport with a different number is expired and they require that I enter it anyways as I have dual nationalities.

I'm wondering if I should end the "Citizen of another country?" part as no or should I enter the info?

What are the chances that they won't let me through due to overstayed visa? Would they be able to cross match my Taiwanese passport to my old/new UK passport and deny entry that way? (English name is registered on the Taiwanese passport as a legal alias)

Thank you for any advice you can give!

Steve on 06 July, 2015

Great thanks wow fast response!

luisa on 05 July, 2015

Fill in the information for the passport you're using to travel, including actual place of issue as stated in your British passport. Use the Italian address if that's your normal residence. You don't need to mention the dual citizenship as the ESTA rules are the same in any case. Keep it simple, but accurate.

Jack on 05 July, 2015

Hi sorry feeling a bit dumb here. I am going for one month to see my relative in texas. I filled in my esta as a british citizen which i am, but i now live in italy i am automatically a dual citizen there as my father is italian do I need to tick that box? My passport is British and my address is Italian the address seems to be highlighted in yellow and i noticed is changed my issue of passport place to Italy and my citizenship to italy now I am confused. It asks for the passport number of the other country of which you are a citizen and I just re-entered my british passport number as i don't have an italian passport..being in the EU i haven't bothered yet. anyway my session timed out so haven't filled it out again. Need help thanks!

Luisa on 05 July, 2015

Hi Sona. Unfortunately you would need a visa, as it's related to the passport you're travelling on. Which would be your Indian citizenship.

Jack on 14 April, 2015

I have Indian nationality but am a permanent resident of Spain (resident card). Am I eligible for ESTA to travel to USA?

Sona on 13 April, 2015

Hi Paul

The maximum you can do is 180 days in a year on an ESTA, so on that you'd be OK.

You should be fine doing this, however, U.S. immigration can be unpredictable at times and there's always a risk of being turned away at the border.

Make sure you have relevant papers in order, and if being denied entry on the return would be a serious problem due to delays caused, it may well be worth applying for a full visa rather than relying on ESTA.

Jack on 11 March, 2015

My wife and I are hoping to do a 2.5months USA trip on an ESTA - with a 2 week break back home in the UK- then return to the USA on ESTA for a further 2.5months.

I will be on business (servicing a USA client to my own UK company). My wife will not work during our time in the USA as she intends to relax/sight see.

My question is would we be refused entry on our return? Is there a return timing window we must adhere to? Any help would be greatly received.

Paul on 10 March, 2015

I can't say exactly.

If you're looking to immigrate / move to the US now you're married to a US citizen, your wife will need to apply for a green card.

Else, you should probably keep travelling on your Gambian passport with the visa.

In either case, you should speak with the US Embassy or Consulate nearest where you live now, as this is complicated.

Jack on 27 February, 2015

Hello , I'm dual citizen a Gambian/ British citizen. I used to travelled to US from 2011 till date to visit my newly wedded wife an American citizen . Now i want to join her in US . I want to travel in few months time and for the first time am travelling with my British passport , do I need esta visa and or dose she have to apply for me green card or residence while am in the US ,hence she is my wife or can I just buy air ticket and travel as I used to do with my Gambian passport in which I have 5 years visa still valid.



Thank you so much

Pierre Tallon on 27 February, 2015

If you've only been in the UK for six months, you're probably not yet 'ordinarily resident' legally. No urgency to change if you're travelling soon.

Yes, once you consider yourself living in the UK on a more or less permanent basis, you can update 'country currently residing in'. It is not related to citizenship, just residence.

Jack on 18 January, 2015

Hi, I am a Swedish citizen, currently living in the UK. In my ESTA application my country of residence is currently Sweden, as that was approved a year ago and I have been living in the UK for only six months. Do I need to update this, and is it possible to update only "country currently residing in" without changing citizenship?


Sophie on 18 January, 2015

Hi David,

No, I wouldn't think so.

As it's a multi-year, multi-entry authorization it would seem strange. If immigration wants your number, I'm sure they'd ask at passport control as well.

That being said, there are no guarantees. I would be surprised if you experienced any issues with your ESTA or U.S. border control because of it.

Jack on 09 January, 2015


I'm due to fly to New York on Monday, I can't seem to update my phone number. Will this be a problem?


David on 08 January, 2015

Thanks for asking.

No, she won't need an ESTA as she's a US citizen. I strongly recommend that she travel on her US passport to USA per Homeland Security rules.

If she MUST travel on her Australian passport, then the ESTA seems to be required.

Jack on 02 January, 2015

Hi there,

We are travelling to the US in a few months, my question is;

My fiance is a US/Aus (dual) citizen travelling on an Australian passport, does he need to apply for ESTA?


Anonymous on 02 January, 2015

Hi Irene,

You're a British citizen, so that's what you put. Residency isn't the same and does not matter in any case for this (unless you've also taken up Spanish citizenship).

So, British & the UK passport number is what you use.

Jack on 15 December, 2014

Can anyone help please, I think I may be abit thick I am a uk citizen with a uk passport, however, I am and have been resident in Canary islands (spain) for the last 7 years. on the form it asks about any other citizenship, am I right in assuming I have to put spain and repeat my English passport number (as it asks for number)?

Irene Wadsworth on 15 December, 2014

Don't worry about the flight details. It's multiple entry, and they don't actually care about them: Ditto with the hotel details in reality.

Jack on 08 December, 2014

Hi I am trying to update my ESTA details, I have updated my location details hotel etc but it will not give me the option to update flight details, flight number and where I am flying from, my visa is valid until November 2015


rachael on 08 December, 2014

As per this page:

"If your ESTA expires while in the US it will not affect your departure."

Jack on 02 December, 2014

Maybe somebody can help me. I travel frequently to the United States. My current esta is good until the 21st of december. I am flying the 19th to the United States and staying there for 3 weeks. Do I have to apply for a new one or does the esta have to be valid for your whole stay in the United States?

Daniel on 30 November, 2014

Yes, you will absolutely need preclearance by doing the ESTA application online.

You cannot, at least technically, fill in the form at the border anymore and if you try without applying online, your chances of being turned back are pretty great.

Jack on 11 May, 2014

Hi, I am an australian citizen travelling on an australian passport will spend two weeks in canada before flying on to europe. I will visit niagara falls then cross over via land into buffalo the us border for a short visit 3 or 4 days. My question is do I need to complete an ESTA form to cross into the US

Marcel on 11 May, 2014

Hi John

Travel on your Spanish passport, as the passport details need to match the ESTA application. Doesn't matter where it was issued.

Jack on 16 May, 2013

Hello there i am dual nationality live and born in great britain however have a spanish passport as the english one is to expensive! When filling out the esta for passport issueing country (country of citizenship i am unsure what to put as it is a spanish passport however i got my passport in the spanish embassy in london?? If you could help me out it would be much apprciated? Many thanks john

John on 14 May, 2013

Hi Graham

It's 180 days per 365 days rolling as far as I understand. It could be per calendar year (1 Jan through 31 Dec) but I don't think so. Don't take this as legal advice and also remember that the DHS officers at immigration can reject you for quite a number of reasons.

No minimum gap between visits, you can come in and out every other day if you'd like. Well, technically, but even with ESTA I'm sure the immigration officer would eventually object.

I've crossed the border up to 4 times in a month, so that's certainly fine.

Jack on 24 April, 2013


I travel from the UK under the ESTA/VWP to our owned home in Florida. Are you able to confirm categorically that the maximum stay is 180 days per year and is this a calender year or annual year (from Jan 1 to Dec 31? I understand the 90 day any one trip rule but even the US Embassy web site is silent on my inquiry. Is there a minimum time gap between visits under the ESTA/VWP? Many thanks.

Graham White on 24 April, 2013

Since you have a current visa, I'm assuming you'll be OK. But, you also mention that you've been turned away previously so if you don't have a visa, you'll require one to enter the U.S.

I'm certain you can no longer use ESTA.

Jack on 23 March, 2013

i got my visa from the USA embassy in UAE do i need a clearance to inter the states and how can i get it ?? i did come to the state a year ago and my visa was expired and couldn't get in and i went back to UAE without interning the state so now i got my visa and was wondering if i need clearance to depart from UAE airport ??

amal on 23 March, 2013

Hi Michal. The ESTA is multiple entry, though I believe you won't be able to spend more than 180 days in the U.S. in a single year without a full visa. However, I'm sure this is up to the discretion of the immigration officer. As I read it, you should be able to spend another 90 days.

Jack on 25 January, 2013

I arrived to USA with Esta and stayed for 60 days. Then flew to Mexico.

My question is: Can I stay now when I'm back to USA for another 90 days? (Or

I just have 30 more days to use and that's all ).

Michal on 25 January, 2013

Yes, I think so. There are virtually no sterile flight transfer areas in U.S. international airports. This means you're highly likely to go through immigration on your way into the States both ways.

Jack on 15 March, 2012

I am flying from uk to Mexico for a holiday. However may need to fly back via new York then onwards to London. Would I need this?

Anonymous on 15 March, 2012

Hi Krystel

I would get the ESTA clearance to be on the safe side. The Canadian passport may make you exempt, but best to be sure.

Jack on 13 March, 2012

If I have a dual nationality (Canadian and Spanish) and have a Spanish Passport (although living in Canada), do i need an Esta Clearance to travel to the U.S for a 1 week business trip?

thank you

Krystel on 13 March, 2012

Hi Anna

No, you don't need ESTA clearance as a U.S. passport holder. However, your husband does unless he's got a permanent residence visa, or similar, as your spouse.

You never need ESTA to visit 'home' no matter how long you've been living abroad.

Jack on 10 March, 2012

If I'm an American citizen (with US Passport only)living in Britain, do I need an ESTA clearence as well as my British husband? Thanks, AD

Anna David on 09 March, 2012



eyeflare travel & tips is © Jack Norell 1994-2024 All Rights Reserved