Museum Day 26 September 2009
If you're looking for something to do on September 26, the Museum Day sponsored by Smithsonian magazine is a great, educational, and hopefully fun option. On the day, hundreds of U.S. museums and zoos all over the country will be opening for free general admission.
While you'll have to pay to view any special exhibits, this is a great opportunity to get better acquainted with that museum at home you've never got around to because you didn't want to pay the entrance fee. Or, save a bit of money on your travels by taking advantage of Museum Day.
You'll need to get a Museum Day Admission Card to get free admission, and you can get this online.
Some of the participating museums are:
- High Museum of Art in Atlanta
- Museum of San Diego History in San Diego
- The Hermitage, Home of President Andrew Jackson in Nashville
- The Skyscraper Museum in New York
- Montana Historical Society in Helena, MT
- J. Paul Getty Museum in Los Angeles
- Old Cowtown Museum in Wichita, KS
- Sacramento Zoo in Sacramento
- Rochester Art Center in Rochester, MN
- Smithsonian National Museum of the American Indian, the George Gustav Heye Center in New York
- Lowe Art Museum in Coral Gables, FL
More information and all participating venues are available at the Museum Day website.
You should follow me on twitter here.