Responsible Travel just published a list of 10 points from a reader poll about the worst things that tourists do. These 10 are so easy to avoid, and make you look like a complete idiot to the locals. Here they are:
- "Littering - especially plastic bags."
- "Purchasing illegal souvenirs or food produce."
- "Wasting water in destinations which face shortages e.g. Spain."
- "Leaving lights on."
- "Leaving air conditioning on in hotel rooms when you're not in them."
- "Purchasing mineral water in plastic water bottles when the hotel provides drinkable water for re-fills."
- "Standing on coral reefs. It takes approx. one hundred years for one inch of coral to grow. By killing it you affect the whole eco system."
- "Disturbing wild animals by getting as close as possible for a better picture."
- "Throwing cigarette butts on the ground."
- "Failing to take advantage of recycling facilities where offered."
If you've done any of these, shame on you!
You should follow me on twitter here.